Saturday, April 5, 2008

Digging in the dirt

I never get things planted when I should, but at least this year I didn't totally miss my window of opportunity to get some sugar snap peas into the ground. I'm typing this with serious dirt under my nails (Gloves?!? I don't need no stinkin' gloves!) from turning my main garden area over, which resulted in my finding another four plants/bulbs/corms that I needed to transplant.

I found some 4' high wire fencing in my garden shed (no clue where it came from) so I built two circles to match the one I already have, and planted the peas around those. Once they start coming up I may have to put a stick in the middle and run some string down to give them even more room to climb but this will let them get started.

I even managed to get some cilantro planted in a planter. I checked my collection of herb planters, and my mint is starting to come up, and both my thyme and rosemary made it through the winter. Oh and my chives are doing wonderfully - is it even possible to kill mint or chives?

Since I was planning the spinach to to put in the freezer anyway, I'm going to put that in as a fall crop, along with broccoli and brussels sprouts. I'm also going to put in a little bit of regular kale and a whole bunch of some red russian kale to just leave in the ground and harvest through the winter.

Add all that to a lovely conversation with Farmer Tim this morning, and some more delicious foods from his garden, and I'm just a happy little locavore today.

Of course in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I had pizza for lunch, but does it count that it's a locally owned and operated pizza shop?!?

1 comment:

Bill Stevenson said...

"Gloves?!? I don't need no stinkin' gloves!"

That line cracked me up, been there, done that!

"a locally owned and operated pizza shop?!?"

Yup, that counts easily considering your rational objectives, in fact it's outstanding.