Friday, April 11, 2008

A Chemical Conundrum

I'm feeling quite accomplished overall, having just seriously organized my garden shed, inspired by Chile Chew's Cut the Crap Challenge (and I just looked and today's specific challenge is to tackle the garage or shed!! Go me, ahead of the game, WOOT! Oh, wait... there's my disaster of a garage still yet to tackle... ACK!).

I managed to get rid of about two big bags of thing that were trash - didn't have anything recyclable or freecyclable in there. I considered holding onto a few things (a bunch of broken pottery/clay pots, for example -- "I'll use them in the bottom of planters!") but realistically I wasn't likely to use it and they weren't things I could imagine being able to freecycle, so they're out.

But I still need to decide what I'm going to do with the chemical pesticides and fertilizers that I had from years ago for the yard and garden. I'm not going to use them, but I'm just not sure it's something I want to freecycle, since giving them away for someone else to use feels enabling to me. But at the same time, at least if I give them to someone else, it's someone who I presume would have bought them anyway, so giving them away would perhaps cause just one less bottle/bag of chemicals to be purchased.

I'm also not sure if they are even any good any more, and equally unsure about how to dispose of hazardous materials here.

I've given myself a one week deadline to decide (and research, if necessary) how I want to handle this.

2 comments:

Chile said...

Here you go, Leslie. The links will tell you what they take and where to drop them off.

Leslie said...

What a sweetie you are! I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to freecycle the stuff, but thank you for finding that information for me!