Monday, June 2, 2008

Some things I didn't expect to be hard to give up

I'm realizing that in order to eat local, there aren't just foods that we'll have to give up, there are subcategories of foods that are available, but not in the way we're used to having them. The big issue continues to be meat: I still haven't found a source for local fish and seafood, which was until now our primary animal protein source. I did find a source for chicken, but I'm realizing that if we stick to eating local, there's no more buying packs of leg/thigh quarters so that we only have the pieces that we each enjoy the most (Partner prefers legs, I prefer thighs). There's no more buying a bag of wings to stick on the grill and munch on. There's no more buying chicken already cut up or deboned. It was already an interesting experience to take three freshly-processed hens and cut them up into pieces, cut out the backs to go into the parts bag for stock and soups. But I can see now that we're going to work our way through the dark meat then have to create ways to use the white.

As for a Challenge update: One night down, 29 more to go. I can do this. I just have to keep remembering that it's all about self-control: I am more powerful than the cravings that lead me to fix foods I don't need, foods I'm not even hungry for.

Oh and one other serious local challenge: Lime. OK, not just lime - tequila (margaritas) and rum (mojitos), though there is a local brewery that makes their own rum. Even though the ingredients aren't local, I can still count it as local if it's distilled here, right?!?

No comments: