Thursday, May 22, 2008

The good, the bad, the embarassing

The good:
  • I picked up three lovely pasture-raised chickens and met the delight Ms. Carolyn of, as she simply calls it, The Farm.
  • I did not slice open my hand, my countertop, or even any parts of the chickens as I fumbled around dissecting them into quarters (well, sixths if you count the neck and back that are now in my stock bag). We already had a whole bird in there, and I figure for summer grilling the pieces would be a much better choice.
  • I blanched and froze five bags of various greens, with visions of wintertime greens & beans, spinach quiches, and kale and potato soups wandering through my brain. My freezer is starting to fill, and this is a really lovely thing to me.
  • Dinner last night was a somewhat local meal: stir fry (brown rice from CA - I want to find some from NC), with carrots and garlic from PA, and turnip and tons of greens from the farm. No idea where the ginger was from.
  • Tomorrow's bbq bash for Chas's 2nd birthday will include an all-local salad. Chas is TWO! Two years ago she was born at 28 weeks and weighed 2.5 lbs and she spent the first 3 months of her life in the NICU. She's now healthy and beautiful and delightful. Here she is at the farm:


The bad:
  • I haven't had any soda in months, and today for whatever reason I had TWO. WTF?!?
  • I've had sinus ick for a month but no fever, finally broke down and let my doc give me antibiotics, now 8 days into the treatment I have a fever of 100.5. Again, seriously, WTF?
  • I meant to have Farmer Tim bring me six lbs of hamburger for tomorrow and I forgot, but it gets worse. I didn't even get the regular walmart make my own patties stuff. I got the frozen pre-pattied crap, and nathan's hot dogs, to go with the bucket of potato salad and the four bags of chips and five boxes of sodas. If I'm feeling ambitious I may make a slaw-type thing with one of the things I got today from the farm, but that ambition is not something I can count on. On and I meant to have him bring me 3 doz eggs so that I could make deviled eggs. No, no no. too much work.
The embarrassing:
  • How easy it is to fall off the local foods bandwagon.
  • The stack of plastic cups and cutlery
  • The box mix cake, white with artificial color dots interspersed, artificial vanilla flavored canned icing, sugar and artificial color dots to sprinkle on top.
  • That I'm way too tired to edit this and make it make sense.

No comments: